Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Sewing For Baby

I am at Martha Pullen School this week busy sewing and visiting with old friends and meeting new, but thought that I would leave you with a peak of what I managed to sew and get in the mail this last week.

This pale blue baby knicker, made by pattern #103, is made from Imperial Batiste. Now that I am once again sewing for a real live baby, Imperial Batiste is my all time favorite fabric! Not only is it soft, but being 65% cotton and 35% polyester, it washes well and needs very little ironing. I do not recommend it for an heirloom garment since we don't know what polyester will look like in 50 years, but since I plan on this outfit being worn and passed around to other babies, it was perfect for the project.

I adapted the collar for Faggoting (or Bridging) by subtracting 1/4" off of the outer edge of the collar when I was cutting in out. The smocking consists of simple Baby Waves and tiny Bullion rosebuds. Directions for Faggoting and the Bullion rosebud can be found in the "Heirloom Embroidery Book."

Wouldn't this be cute with a little pink sweater for Spring?
Michie'

1 comment:

Piper said...

This is adorable! I love the faggoting on the collar and the sweet bullion buds are so sweet and tiny. I too love imperial batiste for everyday wear for little ones. So practical!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails