Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Fabric Challenge


As someone who only buys fabric with a particular project in mind, it has been a wonderful challenge to be given a box of  fabric from a sweet friend.  Every piece is something that I would have picked out and how convenient that some will work for the boy and some for the girl.  As with all my fabric, I am trying to use it within a couple of months.  In this case for Fall sewing.  Is there anything sadder than fabric that sits on the shelf for months or years having lost the vision that it was purchased for?  

How about you!  Do you start on your new fabric right away or is it stashed away for future projects?

Thank you Janice, two out of the five are now outfits!  :)

Michie'

5 comments:

Patrice said...

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a hoarder when it comes to fabric. Your way is so much smarter. I have more ideas than I do time, plus I like to look at the fabric. :)

Renee said...

I don't have a local fabric source so I order online and plan my projects way ahead. Then life gets in the way and I find myself with pretty corduroy in April and seersucker in October. I put it aside until next year. Then the intended recipient grows another size and sometimes I have to change direction- a different pattern or project. But over the summer I come up with a new idea for that corduroy and am ready to go in September.

Amber said...

I hoard too, Patrice! Actually, I bought a TON of interlock and rib knit at 50 cents a yard (yes, you read that correctly!), and now I have probably 20+ yards of it left, sitting folded in a couple of laundry baskets in the sewing room. Apparal fabrics I buy with projects in mind, but sometimes I buy cute patterns here and there to use for applique pieces, so I have a lot of 1/2 yard or smaller cuts.

lj3rs said...

I have lots of fabric!! Even some bought for my girls when they were young and they are now almost 30. I buy for specific projects but sometimes like Renee stated life gets in the way. I buy because I like the fabric. I buy because it's on sale. But, many times when I have an idea, I have the fabric needed without having to go shopping. I also buy lots of patterns. So the perfect day is one when I have the fabric and the pattern in my stash AND I have the time and inspiration!

Melissa said...

I'm also a bit of a hoarder, partly by nature, and partly because I have young children and it isn't practical for me to make a lot of trips and be regularly watching for sales. So when I do get out, and when I come across good deals, I try to stock up reasonably on things I'm most likely to use. I agree wholeheartedly, lj3rs, about the makings of the perfect day! :) I am trying to be more and more critical about what I buy, & evaluate whether I'm really going to finish a project or not. I'll bet your husband appreciates your project-minded purchases, Michie!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails